Located in the heart of Monroe County and host of the County Seat, Waterloo is accessed by Illinois Route 3 and Illinois Route 156 which intersect within its bounds. It is located 25 miles from St. Louis, Missouri and the Interstate I-255 is 10 miles from Waterloo.
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 7.66 square miles, of which 7.52 square miles is land and 0.14 square miles is water. Waterloo is along the historic trail from Kaskaskia to St. Louis.
Population & Statistics
- Between 2010 and 2017, Waterloo‘s population has increased 3.7%
- Population 10,355 (2017)
- Young population
- Growing community
- Average Median Age – 41.6
- The City of Waterloo’s population is fairly evenly distributed with 30% under the age of 21, 47% between the ages of 22 and 54, and 23% age 55 or over.
- Average Household Income – $80,898
- Median Household Income – $66,456
- Per Capita Income – $27,252
- Educational Attainment Some College – 33.54%
* Source: The Retail Coach