Skip to content



The primary objective of Zoning is to protect or enhance property values and is to be used as a tool of comprehensive urban planning.

We aim to provide the highest level of customer service. This is accomplished through the implementation of building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical codes along with various state codes and standards.


Zoning Office

Nathan Krebel

100 West Fourth Street
Waterloo, Illinois 62298

  • Processing requests for construction and inspections
  • Providing guidance on applying for a building permit
  • Reviewing and approving construction plans
  • Providing guidance and information to the public regarding contractors and building code requirements

General Information

The Zoning Code of the City of Waterloo divides the City into zoning districts restricting and regulating the location, erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration and use of buildings, structures, and land for residential, business, manufacturing and other specified land uses.

The Zoning Code does not apply to land to be used for agricultural purposes or to the buildings or structures used for agricultural purposes, Area Bulk Variance except that the buildings or structures to be used for agricultural purposes are required to conform to building or setback lines.


The Zoning Code contains general and supplementary use regulations, as well as regulations for business signs, parking and loading, and non-conformities.

Zoning Amendments are for changes in the wording (text) of the zoning code, and for re-zoning of property as shown on the zoning map. Both types of amendments are reviewed by the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals (public hearing) before a final decision is made by the City Council.

Special Uses are other than permitted uses, which may be necessary or desirable, but their potential influence on permitted uses could be harmful. For this reason they are classified as special uses and may be permitted only under special conditions. If a use is not listed as a use within the zoning district, an amendment is required.

Special Use Permits are also required for Home Occupations.

Special Use Permits may be granted by the Zoning Board of Appeals after review by the Planning Commission and a public hearing.

Area Bulk Variances, generally speaking, are allowed for hardship cases where the intent of the ordinance can be preserved but the specific requirements are relaxed. These normally involve exceptionally irregular, narrow, shallow, or steep lots where a variance from a setback will allow the reasonable use of the land. A variance is not permitted to vary the provisions of the ordinance.

Area Bulk Variances may be granted by the Zoning Board of Appeals after a public hearing.


Forms are also available at City Hall

Other Resources