The primary objective of the Building and Inspection department is to protect the public's life, heath, safety, and welfare as it relates to construction.
We aim to provide the highest level of customer service. This is accomplished through the implementation of building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical codes along with various state codes and standards.
- Processing requests for construction and inspections
- Inspecting construction for compliance with the Illinois Building Codes
- Providing guidance and information to the public regarding contractors and building code requirements
After you receive your building permit, inspections will be needed at various stages of your construction.
Inspections required for new homes and commercial work:
- Any footings will need to be inspected before pouring concrete
- Foundation walls before pouring concrete
- Before the backfill is placed against the foundation
- Framing and electrical before insulating
- Final inspection after all construction is completed
- In ground pools – electrical and finished pool
- Decks – piers and finished deck
- Additions – footings , framing , electrical and final
- Sheds/Garages – footings , framing , electrical and final
There is a 48 hour notice needed to be given to the Building Inspector to assure your project will be inspected. If you have any questions concerning inspections call the Building Inspector.
Inspections and Occupancy Permits - FAQs
This is a summary of the Property Maintenance Code and does not replace or supplement the actual Ordinance.