Friday August 27th – Saturday August 28th
A big thank you to the Waterloo Lions Club and Waterloo VFW Post 6504 for hosting the Homecoming again. This year, the theme is “Happy Birthday Metzger-Crook VFW Post 6509 – 75 Years Serving Veterans.” Food service begins at 4pm and rides/games are open from 5-11pm on both Friday and Saturday. Live music both nights also! To participate in the parade, call Butch Sparwasser at 618-806-8104 and for information on vendor booths contact Tammy Warden at 618-670-0754.
Homecoming Parade – Saturday, 5pm
The parade route starts on Columbia Ave. at North Library, travels east to North Main St., heads south to West Mill St. where it will turn west and finish at South Library St.
A freindly reminder to parade-goers about some important rules and etiquette to help keep our parades fun and safe:
• The golden rule is “bums on the curb, feet in the gutter”. The parade needs the entire width of the street for entries and the outer parking space area for operations and emergency vehicles. Please make sure yourself and your children stay on the side of the road. Participants are instructed to hand out candy, not to throw it from vehicles or floats, to avoid children running into the street for these items.
• Please do not cross the route after the Parade starts.
• It may be cool when you first find a place to watch the parade, but it quickly heats up during our summertime parades. Heat exhaustion is very dangerous so remember water, a hat and SPF 30 sunscreen.
• Yes, it’s hard to find a parking spot for a big fun parade but blocking someone’s business or a resident’s driveway is absolutely unacceptable.
• It should go without saying that leaving your litter behind is just plain disrespectful of the public property to which you’ve been given the opportunity to enjoy such events. Clean up your mess…and teach your children the same.