In the summer of 2014, local high school teacher Matthew Schweizer assisted his history students from Gibault Catholic High School in participating in the City’s efforts to place commemorative plaques on buildings in downtown Waterloo. The students went through the process of researching the history of Waterloo’s downtown buildings -- which included land record searches, tax information, wills, newspaper photos, biographies of prominent occupants, oral histories, etc. From their research, the students wrote essays, which the City of Waterloo then used to create decorative signage that is placed onto the outside of the building itself. Now anyone can walk the downtown area of Waterloo and learn about the interesting and unique history of the buildings. This project is still ongoing, so be sure to check back often for new additions!
- 101 South Main - currently The Vaults Workspace
- 107 South Main - currently Randy's Double R Bar
- 113 South Main - currently TWM
- 115, 117 & 119 South Main - currently Stubborn German Brewing Co.
- 121 South Main - currently Shorty's Smokehouse
- 123 South Main - currently Waterloo Mercantile
- 127 South Main - currently Wightman's Pharmacy
- 129 & 135 South Main - currently Quadrant Design
- 141 South Main - currently Uncle John's RRR Bar
- 202 South Main - currently Oddfellows Lodge/Capitol Theater
- 212 South Main - currently Vintage Wine Bar
- 213 South Main - currently Harrisonville Telephone Company
- 216 South Main - currently FNB Operations
- 219 & 221 South Main - currently Bean Tree Cafe
- 229 South Main - currently Monroe County Title Co.
- 116 North Main - currently Stacy Butler Edward Jones
- 117 North Main - currently Happy Hour Sports Bar
- 110 South Church - currently Nobbe John Deere Corporate Office
- 116 East Third - currently Hopskeller Brewing Co.
- 101 East Mill - currently Adams & Huetsch
- 204 West Mill - Ss. Peter & Paul Catholic Church
- 115 & 117 East Mill - currently Strellis Law Firm
- 215 Park Street - currently Morrison-Talbott Library
- 100 West Fourth - currently Waterloo City Hall
- 406 Veterans Drive - currently Waterloo VFW Post 6504
*updated as of June 2023