The City of Waterloo has contracted with Reliable Sanitation to provide curbside trash pickup and curbside recycling weekly. Trash pickup is on Mondays and recycling pickup is on Thursdays, each respective week. The current contract states the only observed holidays are Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, in which trash/recycling will be picked up the next day.
Reliable Sanitation is contracted to collect not more than two (2) thirty (30) gallon containers of garbage or trash per individual or entity billed by the City for refuse collection.
The term garbage shall be construed as meaning: tin cans, bottles, glass, papers, rags, ashes, and other waste discard that is generated from a normal household or business of that type.
- No landscape materials including brush branches, leaves yard cuttings or tree limbs
- No dead animals, animal excretion, sewage or residue from the construction of building demolition or construction.
- No tires, batteries, oil, paint, or medical waste.
- Paper: newspaper & inserts, magazines, shopping catalogs, junk mail, office paper, wrapping paper, telephone books, etc.
- Glass Jars & Bottles: brown, green and clear (no light bulbs or window pane glass)
- Tin/Steel Cans: soup & vegetable cans (no scrap metal)
- Corrugated Cardboard: please break down boxes. We also accept single-ply cardboard (cereal boxes, soda/beer cartons) No Styrofoam.
- Aluminum Cans: beer & soda cans
- Plastics: household plastic containers containing the recycling logo #1 through #7, milk jugs, 2 liter soda bottles, juice & detergent containers, etc. (No plastic grocery bags)
The City of Waterloo has contracted with Reliable Sanitation to pickup household items, that are not included in our regular scheduled pickup, four times each year. A special truck will be used on these days. Such items to include are old appliances, furniture, etc. that is too large to be included in the regular pickup. Doors, compressors, and electric motors must be removed from appliance.
Please keep special and regular trash pickup items separate. Items must be placed next to the curb and ready for pick up by 6:00 am. Limit 2 items per household.
Scheduled Dates for 2017
- Thursday, February 16
- Thursday, April 20
- Thursday, July 6
- Thursday, October 26
Items Not Allowed
Most of these items may be taken to the Monroe County Recycling Center (see below).
- Concrete (No Construction Material)
- Poles with Concrete
- Glass Windows/Panes
- Pool Tables
- Swimming Pools/Pool Liners
- Riding Lawn Mowers
- Hazardous Waste/Chemicals
- Televisions/Computers/Video Games (No Electronics)
- Landscape Waste
- Patio Doors
- Car Parts/Tire Rims
- Basketball Hoops w/Large Stands
- Arcade Games
- Hot Tubs
The recycling facility is designed to accept large items for disposal from Monroe County residents that can not be accepted for regular curbside pickup. This includes furniture, appliances, and other large household items. The facility also accepts recyclable material.
Recyclable Materials Accepted
- Glass jars & bottles
(clear, brown, and green)
- Steel cans
- Aluminum cans
Materials Not Accepted
- Baggable waste
(waste that curbside pickup would accept)
- Debris from contractors
- Debris produced as a result of doing business
- Landscape waste
- Building material
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am – Noon
Behind the Monroe County Annex Building (901 Illinois Avenue)
John Wagner 618.939.3871 extension 13
Cardboard is accepted at Human Support, 988 North Illinois, Route 3 on Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Drive around the back of the building to recycle your cardboard.
The City of Waterloo provides large limb pickup only after a storm. City residents must call City Hall at 939-8600 for pickup within 2 weeks of the storm. Brush must be properly prepared and meet the following specifications:
- Trimmings between 3 feet and 8 feet in length.
- Trimmings – inch to 3 inches in diameter.
- Stack brush neatly at curbside parallel with the street.
- Brush containing nails, metal, stones, vines, thorns, willow whips, or lumber will not be picked up.
- No shrubbery containing sap will be picked up.
- Tree stumps, roots, root balls and logs are not included in brush collection.
The City of Waterloo provides a yard waste dumpsite for City residents at Lakeview Park. Only yard waste is accepted at this site, and all waste must be emptied from its bag or container. It is open daily during daylight hours except when workers are mulching yard waste. This is necessary when the dumpsite reaches capacity and closes for customer safety.
Woodchips & Leaf Mulch
Untreated woodchips and leaf mulch is available free of charge to City residents from the yard waste dumpsite at Lakeview Park. All residents are responsible for loading their own woodchips and leaf mulch.
The City of Waterloo has an ordinance, which allows for leaf burning as follows:
Noon – 4:00 pm
NO BURNING is permitted on City streets.